District 86 History!
|The history of Hinsdale Township High School District 86 is an old and storied one which begins with the first graduating class of Hinsdale High School in 1883. Noteworthy is that this first graduating class consisted of three females.|
In 1897, Hinsdale High School was recognized by the University of Illinois and became accredited by the North Central Association for the first time in 1908.
In 1913, District 86 came into existence when the elementary and high school separated into two districts. The name Hinsdale Township High School District 86 became official in 1925.
Construction began on Hinsdale Central in 1947 with 780 students occupying the new building in 1950. In 1962, a referendum for a second high school was passed and Hinsdale South opened its doors in the fall of 1965 to 418 freshmen and sophomores. District-wide enrollment peaked in 1977-78 with 4352 students. By 1990-91, enrollment had declined to its lowest level of 3062.
With the beginning of the 2007-08 school year, over 4500 students will attend the two high schools in District 86 -- over 2600 at Central and nearly 1900 at South. A faculty and administrative staff of 362 oversee all programs for the district.
With close to 300 courses, nearly 60 clubs and activities, and 28 interscholastic sports available to District 86 students in each building, educational opportunities abound. Students have taken advantage of all of these opportunities to the extent that nearly 97 percent of all District 86 graduates matriculate to a college or university of their choice.